Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Where We Wandered



Can you believe this is my first blog entry since 2008? Wanderings did continue, but I didn't take a lot of time to share via posts.  Wanderings still continue, on land, along the shores and rivers, and in my bizzy bizzy brain.  At the end of 2008, a friend introduced me to Gene, and we wandered into a special friendship which became a solid and supportive lifetime relationship. The picture above, for Gene and me, represents how we have "arrived" at home. We both still wander, but during the past three years, as we courted, retired from our full time jobs, married, bought our home and adopted our dog Mr. Black (previously named Blackie), our wanderings have been more of the sort newlyweds and new home owners experience.



The garden in spring shows blooming aronia, newly transplanted strawberries, a portion of our raspberry rows, some blueberries, huckleberries, and some flowers that had been in place. In 2011, projects included revising much of the garden, favoring edibles; repairing the so-called garage, and creating a shop space instead; repairing the long sewer line that had failed; moving furniture again and again in order to find the optimum use of the 1000 square foot home.  Gene re-painted the 2nd bedroom, which is now the communications center and a very restful one at that.


Now at the beginning of 2012, after much practical do do, we both pursue our more creative interests, mine being the various writing skills I've wanted to develop after so many years of being corseted in formal technical writing assignments.


The Practice of Unlearning
I plan to learn online and share the process I see myself in at the moment. I seem to be stuck to paper, typical of a sixty-something woman sitting too still in a flighty world of tweets and blogs.  I want to share thoughts, adventures and special moments in a permanent way, which thus far I've accomplished by producing small booklets that trace brief, lightly researched social histories of ancestors. They were printed, shared with family members, and while that's not a huge circulation, I'm still pretty happy that they exist, and I like the style and voice.  They were tactile, could be carried in one's hands or backpack and placed on a table or shelf. They could be shared between two people. I like books, magazines, old-timey newspapers. But as I work and learn from current authors and editors, I'm getting un-glued, willing to participate in many formats, but still including bound paper.  Another way I'm stuck to the paper, I will admit, is that my ego also wants to appear on the printed page, which would mean that someone approved of the composition, style, knowledge and creativity I put forth. Ego always wants to experience approval, and I need to watch out that she doesn't stand in the way of writing for my own satisfaction. The pieces I write do need to be shared, but maybe I can be content with the geo-cache concept for now ~ whoever finds them finds them, makes note, leaves them in place, and moves on.


Creative non-fiction is the genre I'm most currently studying, reading, and practicing. I am drawn to the idea of producing work that conveys meaning within the framework of biography and autobiography.  I've had a bit of practice with interviewing subjects, but haven't yet found the themes nor created structures for the pieces that seem to have promise.


In conversation early today, a friend mentioned the pleasure of  exploring the question, not necessarily needing to find the answer.  If we find "the" answer then we're finished.  So some of the questions which will be ongoing for me, and are beginning to keep me awake at night include:  What do I want to get across? What important ideas can I share that might add meaning, perspective, and understanding for the reader? Who are the readers I want to include? How seriously do I want to research? Travel? How can I add conversation to my storylines? And humor!  Seriously!


Now my blog is re-born, and I'm learning to "follow" and wondering where that might lead.




No comments: